"So to summise so far

1) No one really gets NC
2) Some people feel the spirit of NC means non-profit is ok (which I agree with)"

Yup, that's about the size of it. In your original Q, I don't think that any rights holder would have a problem with you charging for printing disks that cover overheads, but if you printed them to line your pockets they would.

IMO it's up to the OER user to assess if they're 'non-commercial' or not, and if they have any doubts to get in touch with the OER producer. Of course, a rip-off merchant wouldn't give a monkey's, so the only people tying themselves in knots about this would be honest users. I don't think it's up to the rights holder to specify 'flavours' of non-commercial as most don't have the knowledge, expertise or frankly patience to do this, and would probably say 'stuff this for a game of soldiers' and take their OER ball home with them.

In the end, all of OER and CC is down to goodwill. I remember that I once misused a bit of OER produced by a social enterprise, by including it (a video) in a website which was against the 'no derivatives' part of the enterprises' CC licence, but they were nice about telling me I'd done wrong and I grovelllingly apologised, and we all lived happily ever after :)

Fred
www.fredriley.org.uk