This message is cross-posted from the ALT-MEMBERS list. Apologies, therefore, if you have already seen it.

Hello everyone, I wonder whether you could help:

We've been looking at the concerns and attitudes of academic staff here towards open educational approaches, open resources and open licensing and have identified a significant confidence gap, particularly in relation to the institution's approach and its standpoint/reaction towards openness. As a consequence we're thinking through what kind of position or guidance we could/should be taking at an institutional level.

Do you have any policy or guidance for staff in relation to any open practices that you would be able to share? Does your institution encourage people to publish teaching or research materials under open access/open licences? Does it require this (or the opposite)? If the decision on whether to "go open" is seen as a matter for individuals, is this recognised in some formal, acknowledged way?

I'm really looking for anything that takes a step beyond the level of guidance from learning technologists and demonstrates more of a strategic position, endorsed by faculty or university-level management, academic committees, or the like.

Thanks for anything you can share.

Best wishes - Tony