This is great advice and one I follow as well.

The key factor is an employee withdraws consent the employer has to go on the information they have.  This can be difficult depending upon the circumstances particularly when work stress / issues have been alleged.

This is an area as mentioned for the employer to deal with.

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julie Leonard
Sent: 25 March 2014 08:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Declaring fitness to attend disciplinaries- release of information

Tim, I hope this is helpful , it was posted some time ago by a contributor to this list, and is so useful.

In my opinion, if we are being asked to assess any health issue consent is required to release report unless it is disclosure to protect individuals. However the disciplinary can go ahead without the benefit of the employees input if consent withdrawn, but HR don't usually take tghis route fro reasons best known to themselves. In the past I have commented to HR that  xxx attended OH for assessment, however consent to release the report has been withdrawn, however it must remain a management decision as to whether the process continue in the absence of the employee- normally when the said employee sees this report , then they agree to release the initial report.

"Mental Capacity Act in relation to fitness to attend a disciplinary: OH is sometimes asked to give an opinion as to whether the employee is fit to attend an investigation or disciplinary hearing. The employee may be suffering from stress related or depressive symptoms; in these circumstances it is likely that the effects of an unresolved dispute on the employee’s mental health may be greater if the proceedings are postponed. An employee may be unfit for work but fit to engage with the management process.

The OHA will have to assess whether attendance is likely to cause serious deterioration in the employee’s mental or physical health for example if there is a significant risk of suicide.

The following questions may be used to determine fitness to attend a disciplinary meeting, or engage with the management process leading to such a meeting:

·         Does the employee have the ability to understand the allegations made against them?

·         Does the employee have the ability to distinguish right from wrong?

·         Is the employee able to instruct a friend or representative to represent their interests?

·         Does the employee have the ability to understand and follow the proceedings, if necessary with extra time and a written explanation?

In my opinion, ‘X’ is fit to attend the hearing / disciplinary furthermore it is likely that the effects of the unresolved dispute may be greater if the proceedings are postponed.

It may be helpful if the meeting could be held away from work, at a ‘neutral’ location such as a hotel to avoid unnecessary anxiety about coming into the workplace at this stage