From: gh hovagimyan
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 4:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] March Discussion Begins: The
Performativity of Code

Right on Jack!
There's a sequence in Minority Report where Tom Cruise is going
through a walkway tunnel while his irises are scanned and
personalized holographic adverts are beamed at him.  That's more than
a possible future. I agree that digital artists in particular need to
consciously seek ways to broaden the implementations of controlling
code to include shut offs. One piece I recently did was an
alternative network interface that gets rid of the browser.  You
access it by moving your hands and grabbing information icons.  This
is closer to the Minority Report set-up but the viewer controls the
way the information is laid out and how it is accessed. As long as
there's a Rennaissance frame or a proscenium arch or a browser or an
app, the commercial and governmental interests will control what
information you get and how you get it.  Assuming that the networks
are closing into our personal space, I believe we (as artists/
programmers) need to humanize the data space and give people more
control.  I know that sounds vague but it makes sense to me!  Maybe
someone else can comment on the physical space/ data space overlap?