From: The Natural Science Collections Association discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hannah Russ
Sent: 28 February 2014 15:54
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Fish jaw ID for Friday

Hi Holly,

It looks pretty good (though bigger than any specimen I have ever seen!) for the seabream Rhabdosargus sp.
In Qatar I find these (small ones), and in this region they are Rhabdosargus sarba or R. haffara. I don't know how many of the Rhabdosargus genus have this diagnostic 'big molar' but these two certainly do. I don't know of another genus in the Sparidae family that display this tooth pattern. Please see attached dentary photo for comparison. In case the scale is no longer correct, the actual size is about 2.5cm.

Without an extensive reference collection for the Rhabdosargus genus (and even then it might be tricky!) I wouldn't ID lower than genus level.

Happy Friday everyone!
All the best, Hannah