I agree with others about the Global Mental Health movement. I would actually not only challenge the medication treatment model GMH is flogging to poorer countries but also the Cognitive Behavioural Therapeutic approach too, that no doubt will follow quickly after the tablets!! Indigenous peoples have managed without rearranging their brains (temporarily) with an American idea of what they really need (reference Aaron Beck). What makes me more concerned is how governments of countries like India seem to want to accept the Western Model of Psychiatry so easily when the Ayurvedic Medicine and philosophy, that has lasted for thousands of years before pharmaceutical products were even thought about, is so effective for many people there. I suppose some of their politicians and bureacrats may want to receive some of the profits the pharmaceuticals will generate.

I do agree with Suman’s idea that the pharmaceuticals are looking for new markets since the Western Health Services have been so badly hit with budget cuts and their populations are beginning to realise tablets aren’t everything they have been purported to be!

What frankly can be done to stop GMH rolling out? Does anyone have any idea? I doubt if any of us can stop it from happening. Vikram Patel was very convincing  in his radio broadcast last week…

Neil

From: Health of minority ethnic communities in the UK [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kim Robinson
Sent: 04 March 2014 15:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 'Global' Mental health

Hi all,

Yes – I agree.  This is an interesting discussion following on from the programme this morning.

It reminds me of working in East Timor after the UN referendum when psychiatrists were flown from ‘Western’ countries in to administer medication to traumatised and distressed people (despite no secure ongoing provision of drugs or healthcare).  The support local healthcare workers needed was to rebuild their community based services, and develop skills and not to be ‘seduced’ by pharmaceutical companies offering quick fixes and a limited view of mental health.  NGOs with experience on the ground have lots to offer, but are often undermined by those powerful interests.

Kim Robinson