Dear all,

I have two questions which I hope someone here might be able to point me in the direction of any relevant works:

Firstly, I'm interested in gaining a better understanding of what the a priest in Britain would have had to live on. in the present, we have tied houses, but my feeling is that this is a later development - is that accurate? My query is based on wondering whether a priest would have needed an independent income to be able to live at or above certain standards.

Secondly, has there been any work on the values (comparative or otherwise) of liturgical items? I am currently analysing the will of a mid-14thC Yorkshire rector who leaves a number of mazers to various persons. Would these have been valuable items? Unfortunately he doesn't specify beyond phrases such as "unum ciphum de murro meliore quem habeo".

Thanks,
Melanie