Thanks for the link, Wendy (your response has been copied, I see, by ‘MAPS-L’). And, now I’ve looked again and recalled my seeing the cartoon over this morning’s coffee, the pate of the ‘Russian Bear’ seems deliberately Putin-esque.

Francis

From: A forum for issues related to map & spatial data librarianship [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wendy Cawthorne
Sent: 18 March 2014 18:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Map 'cartoon' re Crimea today (18.iii.2014)

Not in the ‘i’ but it is online here http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the-daily-cartoon-8117874.html?action=gallery

Wendy

From: A forum for issues related to map & spatial data librarianship [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Francis Herbet
Sent: 18 March 2014 18:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Map 'cartoon' re Crimea today (18.iii.2014)

In The Independent (London) of today (Tuesday) 18 March 2014, is a politically [un-]correct [?] cartographic cartoon by a regular contributing artist, Dave Brown. For those familiar with the term, it is of ‘The Russian Bear’ type, showing a ferociously hungry bear’s open salivating jaw about to snap up a red (bloody?)-coloured Crimean peninsula. The map extends across the states of the northern Black Sea (including an insular Moldova) area.

I wonder how much Dave Brown’s original art work would fetch . . .

PS: This cartoon/map does not appear in The Independent’s abbreviated version – the ‘i’.

Francis Herbert (former Curator of Maps, RGS-IBG)