**Apologies for cross-Posting**

Announcing the long awaited Forum for Interlending and Information Delivery Benchmarking Survey

Many of you completed a scoping survey for this project last year, and some of you have made enquiries about what came of it. Firstly, a big Thank You to all those who responded and secondly apologies for the delay in getting a response out, which is solely down to me and other work commitments I'm afraid.

A summary of the results will appear in this month's issue of the FIL Journal, but basically the scoping survey demonstrated three main things:

1.       That there is sufficient interest amongst practitioners to make it a worthwhile exercise to undertake a UK based Inter-library Loans benchmarking project

2.       That we could achieve a workable consensus on the definitions of terms that we all use like "average supply times", so that we can be confident that the project would be comparing like with like

3.       That respondents were most comfortable about the results being presented in terms of anonymised sector averages and circulated to participants, FIL Members and then more widely if appropriate. Respondents to the Benchmarking survey proper will be asked to identify themselves but only so that the Benchmarking group can follow up any evident examples of best practice.

For those of you who haven't yet heard about the project, FIL already collects, and makes available centrally, information about the following aspects of our members' services:

  *   ILL Management Systems
  *   Thesis Loans Policies
  *   End-user charges
Some comparative data is also available via SCONUL for university libraries and CIPFA for Public Libraries for example. However, extending these facilities by collecting information on other features of our ILL services so that it is all together in one place, might provide a useful source of data for members to compare the performance of their own services. Such information is often useful to demonstrate the efficiency and effectiveness of our own services and to highlight examples of best practice that are worth emulating.

If you would be interested in participating in the project proper, we would be very grateful if you could take the time to complete the actual Benchmarking questionnaire at:

http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/hud/fil_benchmarking_spring2014
(That's filunderscorebenchmarkingunderscorespring2014)

Please Note the following:

*         There are 30 questions but all are optional so it might be worth you whizzing through to see what information you might need to hand before completing it properly and submitting (you can also break 'half-way through and complete later)

*         You don't need to have competed to have participated in the scoping questionnaire to respond to this one

*         As has already been pointed out the main questions are all optional so if you prefer to not answer or are unable to do so just continue. In effect the results to each question will stand alone, though they will be 'filtered' by sector.

*         The questionnaire will remain open for six weeks. Within 15 minutes of you competing the questionnaire you will have the option to print a copy of your own submission. We advise you do this for the sake of comparison with the compiled results.

*         Results will definitely by circulated, even if in a preliminary draft form, to all participants prior to the FIL conference on 23rd -24th June, where an update on the project will also be provided.

By the way, if your organisation is not a member of FIL but you would be interested in participating in the Benchmarking Project you are very welcome to do so. Just fill out the questionnaire. But why not also consider joining, there are lots of benefits for members  http://www.forumforinterlending.org.uk/fil-membership-benefits , not least the opportunity for networking with other practitioners in your field!

Thanks in advance :) !

Chris Beevers
Customer Services Librarian

Computing and Library Services
University of Huddersfield | Queensgate | Huddersfield | HD1 3DH

[cid:image011.png@01CF4D06.979C5020]