Dear Ruth,
A big WELCOME!!
We have several schemes for facilitating this sort of engagement here at
London Met - and a few ideas that I would like to see happen (!) - and so
will share them anyway:
* As with other institutions, we have Peer Mentor and Peer Writing Mentor
programmes to help students engage with students and the learning process...
* We support a student team to organise and deliver our annual
student-facing Conference Get Ahead:
http://learning.londonmet.ac.uk/epacks/get_ahead_conf/ And interestingly -
this year the organising Team were second year Events Management students -
who learned a lot from this run - and who now want very much to build on
what they gained by running next year's Conference - but starting from the
very beginning of the academic year with pre-conference events for staff
and students. Of course if this is to really succeed, staff must 'buy in'
to the event as well; putting such events in course calendars and actively
promoting student engagement with the activity.
* What we would like is that staff allow conference participation to count
as one assessment on a module - and now that we have year long modules
again - it could be that we persuade some to make that happen
* We have built student voices into our Study Hub website:
http://learning.londonmet.ac.uk/epacks/studyhub/ Follow the orange links on
the left hand side of the page
* We are trying to persuade staff to offer the 'design a teaching and
learning resource'  as an alternative assessment in modules - and then to
use these resources for the future teaching of the course...

all the best,
Sandra

--
Sandra Sinfield