Les,
Its implementation & management.

Eprints certainly implements fields for funders and codes.... which it
stores as a semi-colon separated string.
DSpace, on the other hand, appears not to have such a field (though one
could argue that one of the lesser-used Qualified-DC fields could be
shanghied into that role.)

Adding in option 3 is, as you say, not difficult - but requires more
change to the base repository that Paul was aiming for (ie, one needs to
add a new compound field to the database...)

Given the idea is to create a platform-neutral data-format, one needs
both EPrints and DSpace to support it (given they hold over 50% of the
global market between them.)

As an aside - I faced the same problem when I was constructing the data
packaging for The Broker. I had already gone for option 3 when RIOXX was
creating their guidelines.
In my case, I decided that it was a problem for the Individual
Repositories to recognise, and map, the funder & project identifiers
into a format that was used by their datasets.
To me, providing the correct relationship was more important, and the
IRs could catch-up as/when they could.

--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.