Mere? As in boundary?

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Winfield, Hugh
Sent: 18 March 2014 11:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Maire

Dear All,

We have a map of Grimsby which dates back to c.1600 and there is a word that I do not understand used on it (there are actually several words used that I don't understand, but this seems the most important). The word is "Maire" and is shown in two places; the first is the boundary with the parish to the south (Scartho) which is annotated "Scarthay Maire". The second, "Stand Maire Stone," is in the middle of one of the great fields just to the north of the same parish boundary.

Any ideas?  Google is no help!

Thanks,

Hugh

Hugh Winfield | Archaeologist |
North East Lincolnshire Regeneration Partnership
Origin 1, Europarc, Grimsby, DN37 9TZ
W 01472323586 | M 07825125964

Access Historic Environment Mapping on our iShare Mapping System - http://isharemaps.nelincs.gov.uk/mynelc.aspx

Access the new Local Lists of Historic Assets of Special Interest - http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/resident/planning-and-development/investigating-and-exploring-the-past/local-list-historic-assets-special-interest/

P Reduce your environmental footprint, please do not print this

email unless you really need to.

This electronic message contains information from North East Lincolnshire Council

which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for

the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended

recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the

contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this

electronic message in error, please telephone or email the number(s) or address

above immediately. Activity and use of the North East Lincolnshire email system

is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business

purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be

recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes.

Scanned by Anti Virus Software