Ah, ok, was it one or both of these talks?  (Hopefully my notes are not too ridiculous!)

I love getting more modern stuff onto the HER, it will certainly be interesting to see what WW1 stuff can be added.  But I would like some clarification on how we can get the data.  J  It mentions the HER a lot on the site and I’d like to be clear about it if people do approach me.  We have a wartime focused event at the end of March so it might be good to mention it on my stall as a project people can take part in.  I will talk to Louise!

Helen Wells
Historic Environment Record Officer
Leicestershire County Council

Planning, Historic & Natural Environment, Leicestershire County Council, County Hall, Glenfield, Leics, LE3 8RA
Telephone: 0116 3058323 / E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Helen

Modern Military Heritage – Defining the Priorities (Wayne Cocroft, EH)

This focused on the WWI aspects of the National Heritage Protection Plan.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/protection/national-heritage-protection-plan/plan/activities/4e2

The main C20th Miliary topics forming part of the NHPP are:

1)      Defence Disposals

2)      Civil Defence

3)      Military Communications

4)      First World War

5)      Cold War

6)      Temporary Airfields

7)      Aircraft Crash Sites

Other topics are not NHPP funded.

The main area at the moment is Defence Disposals.  Due to the reorganisation of the armed forces a lot of sites are being sold or converted to other uses.  English Heritage has been going onto many sites and carrying out surveys – not much is known about active military sites since certain things have to be kept a secret!  A lot of work is also being carried out on Drill Halls.

It’s hoped that sites will go onto Pastscape within a couple of months of work being carried out.  Various sites are being designated, but it’s being emphasised that just because something isn’t listable doesn’t mean it isn’t important – it should be considered in master planning etc.

Another aspect of the scheme is producing up to date recording and conservation guidance, such as for Aircraft Crash Sites.

Possible assessment projects for the First World War include practice trenches, camps (training & POWs), factories, communications and air defences.  They are working with the War Memorials Trust.

The Council for British Archaeology is working on a recording toolkit (the ALGAO HER group has been involved).  This is a UK-wide project promoting standardisation for recording, with AHRC funding.  They are hoping to carry out workshops linking up with community groups, and to raise the profile of HERs.  There are details on the CBA website.  It’s hoped that WW1 sites can be recorded and easily incorporated into HERs.  For more details on the project visit http://new.archaeologyuk.org/the-physical-legacy-of-the-first-world-war-and-its-home-front-in-the-uk.

The National Planning Team at EH are hoping to be more proactive in sending data back to us – for instance some sites might be worthy of local listing.

The Home Front: Quantifying the Impact of the First War on England (Paul Stamper, EH)

The Imperial War Museum is leading on this DCMS project.  Apparently there are lots of interesting documents on their website http://www.iwm.org.uk/.  Particular use was made of a document produced just after the First World War containing lots of statistics.

The impact of the First World War was incredibly widespread, with all sorts of short term changes taking place (for instance, wartime manufacturing in factories).

1800 Drill Halls were built across the country, 20 of which are listed.

It’s important to find out what was there, what survives, and what’s listable.

Lots of listing descriptions don’t include wartime contributions (factories, country houses, etc).  Also, there may be bomb damage from Zeppelin raids (also Gothas, though not in the Midlands).

Many sites were re-used in the Second World War.

Landscapes such as burial grounds are also listed.

Although there may not be many specifically ‘First World War’ monuments on HERs, lots may have played a part in the war effort…