I agree with those who think that this is an important discussion topic for
a list-serve, but I doubt that many of us postgrads or freshly-minted
PhDs/DPhils will contribute for fear of repercussions on our own (future)
employment. Also, I think there can be other forms of constructive input
than comment on, or objection to, pay alone.

Anyone who follows Rebecca Schumann, who understands herself as a
whistle-blower on the academy, will know that the US higher ed system has
adjuncts who struggle to survive. And Karin has pointed to the situation
in the German-speaking world, too.

So perhaps we could use this list also for constructive, general
discussions about embarking on starter jobs? Justifications for pay or pay
disputes aside, pragmatic tips are surely useful - no one has to heed or
read them, but they can do so if they want. For example, regarding how a
post-holder on a fixed, hours-based contract anywhere can meet the demands
of a job well enough to get a good reference and do students' needs
justice, while not allowing such a position to become all-encompassing such
that no time is left for research or supplementation of income outside of
the role (as the individual prefers). Or tips on managing expectations of
university employers while still being willing to be engaged in the
institution. And so on. I don't mean to suggest that German Studies should
be there for life advice, but some forum for early career academics from or
in the UK negotiating the job market - or links to such a forum - would
seem relevant to me.

Seán