My understanding of a mailing list is to advertise an event, raise a topic (here: on German literature, linguistics, politics, and culture), to answer queries and to find out who might wish to engage in this. Once this has been established, one talks to those interested in smaller circles. This seems to be pretty much common practice across the world. But we can talk about this with interested parties in a smaller circle, if you wish :)

nils

On 24 March 2014 11:48, Niven, William <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Nils,

I would be curious to know what are the appropriate topics for this list. It spends much of its time in deep slumber, and when it sparks into life, the topics are deemed inappropriate. Not sure that's good for the list, really...

Bill
________________________________
From: JISCmail German Studies List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Nils Langer [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 24 March 2014 11:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: riduculous payment - but hey, it's Oxford!

Can I be the spoil-sport and express what most people on this list will have been thinking for a while:
This is not a topic for our list, both as a general issue (pay conditions) and as regards discussing the practice of a(ny) particular university.

yours,

nils

--
Prof. Nils Langer
Subject Lead (German Dept.)

0117 928 9841

www.bris.ac.uk/german<http://www.bris.ac.uk/german>
www.fgls.ac.uk<http://www.fgls.ac.uk>
www.hison.ac.uk<http://www.hison.ac.uk>
www.onion.com<http://www.onion.com>
DISCLAIMER: This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University. Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.

--
Prof. Nils Langer
Subject Lead (German Dept.)