Thank you Lisa on behalf of UK interpreters! Here, here.
And to add my two pennies worth to the conversation, I don't think it matters whether we call it interpretation or not, we all do it and it's just about great communication and inspiring people - in whatever form that takes.
Kate
Sent while out of the office by Kate Measures, Heritage Learning Consultant. Mobile 07966 298516

From: Lisa Keys <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: "List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:58:35 +0000
To: <[log in to unmask]>
ReplyTo: Lisa Keys <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: A Friday kind of question: advice for managing front line staff being chatted up by visitors

Hello all,

As a committee Trustee of the Association of Heritage Interpretation (AHI) http://www.ahi.org.uk/ in the UK, I felt that we should pitch in here.

AHI is the professional body representing heritage interpreters in the UK. Interpreters or ‘communicators’ might include curators, managers, front-of-house staff, volunteers, visitor experience officers, rangers etc. In the UK a lot of interpretation goes on, but it might be referred to as outreach, engagement and education (to name but a few terms!).

We use many methods to interpret heritage. Interpretation in the UK does not refer to mainly written text, or, for that matter, focus on the delivery aspect of interpretation only. Interpreters in the UK operate in a complex field as interpretation involves  everything from interpretive planning and research through to design, implementation (project management), evaluation and running interpretive programmes. It also involves the collaboration and coordination between a number of related fields: business planning, marketing, operations, press, building and architecture etc. The tools  an interpreter applies should come out of this careful planning process, represent site-specific solutions and could entail anything from guided tours and talks, multimedia, costumed interpretation, interactives and yes, written text in a variety of media.

The UK is fortunate enough to have a number of highly talented interpreters in the UK who are respected, and work, internationally. While we all thrive to deliver to the highest possible standards, there will always be differences in the quality of the end product. This is for a variety of reasons, but not due to the inherent superiority of one (national) model to the other. Where interpretation is recognised as a discipline, and this is true in the UK as well as the US, all interpreters share very similar principles.

However, AHI recognises that we could do more to raise standards and promote our profession, and we are working hard to do this i.e. through training, advocacy. AHI has just been subject to a review of activities which will inform its future. Applying for ‘Full membership’ status of the AHI http://www.ahi.org.uk/www/join/categories/ is one way for interpreters to gain accreditation. As a result of the review we are looking at trying to support more members to achieve this status through the training we provide. We recently asked our Linkedin group http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Association-Heritage-Interpretation-4078892 for training suggestions and we would welcome suggestions from the GEM group too. In light of this conversation would a 'Guided walks, roving and informal interpretation- how to get the most from your site, collection, staff and volunteers' training course be of interest? All suggestions welcome!

Lisa Keys

AHI Committee Trustee and e-News editor