Thank you Saad for your reply. I know questions like these are a frequent
topic on the forum and I appreciate you taking the time to address them.
For this study, the seeds and targets were derived from individual
Freesurfer cortical and subcortical segmentation and registered to the DTI
space. So, unfortunately for me, the seeds and target ROIs won't be equal
across subjects.

Maybe, I'm doing/understanding something incorrectly here. I used one seed
and one target, with the target serving as a waypoint and exclusion mask as
well. I was curious to see the streamline count for the number of
streamlines going from my seed to target. When I calculated that streamline
count (via fslstats seeds_to_target -M and multiplied by the number of seed
voxels ), I noticed that this number was exactly the same as the waytotal.
 I suppose in this way that is not surprising that the waytotal, in that
set up, is related to the seed_to_target. It, the waytotal, just doesn't
seem to be the appropriate control  to normalize the values of
seed_to_target, with this setup. Taking the mean of
seeds_to_target/waytotal  I essentially end up with the inverse of the
voxel count:

$ fslstats seeds_to_OFC_LEFT.nii.gz -M
1960.647887

$ fslstats seeds_to_OFC_LEFT -V
71 748.828125

1960.647887 X 71 = 139205.99

$ more waytotal
139206

$ fslmaths seeds_to_OFC_LEFT -div `cat waytotal`
seeds_to_OFC_LEFT_div_waytotal

$ fslstats seeds_to_OFC_LEFT_div_waytotal.nii.gz -M
0.014085

1 / 71 (seed voxel count) = 0.014085

So, when using probtrackx2 to track between only two regions [A to B (with
B as a waypoint and termination mask)] how best can I "normalize" the
seeds_to_target values, since, with that specific set up, it seems the
waytotal is not appropriate (I would just end up with the voxel count). I
considered dividing by the voxel count of the seed + target, but I'm not
sure if that is an appropriate method. If my question is "what proportion
of sent streamlines from this seed reach this target?", is normalization
still necessary?

I suppose I could use the waytotal normalized fdt_paths to address this
question, as well.

THANK YOU again for your help and for developing these great neuroimaging
tools.