Hi Terry,
I think the answer is...."no."

The reason is that no number of covariates can address some key unknown
confounders, like attitude or intent.  Imagine a study of healthy
lifestyle--one may find identical demographics and comorbidity etc but an
attitude towards health behaviors may, either in and of itself be
predictive of outcome or at least be associated with a number of unknown
confounders.  In theory if one knew everything then the answer could be, I
suppose, yes.  But one cant know everything or enough.   And obs studies
often address questions that are different from those in trials. Miguel
Hernan has written a lot about this, that I find quite useful.  For
example, though not exactly on topic, the considerations are related
http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1735165

best,
Rich Saitz

--
Richard Saitz
Editor Evidence-Based Medicine

* BMJ, BMA House, Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9JR*
T: +1 617 414 7744
E: [log in to unmask]
* W: *ebm.bmj.com
Twitter: @EvidBaseMed_BMJ
www.facebook.com/Evidence.Based.Medicine

--

BMJ advances healthcare worldwide by sharing knowledge and expertise to