Dear Colleagues

Maybe I am alone in this, but I do think plagiarism is a significant and
growing problem.  To ask for discussion within a context of paranoia and
hysteria is not to invite discussion at all, but to pat ourselves on the
back for being above the narrow minded, and to laugh at their folly.  A
problem can never be addressed if even identifying that problem is seen as
a bigger problem in itself and a character flaw.

To me, the figure of 70% seems a fairly accurate one, relating not to the
amount of work plagiarised, but to the number of students who have tried
it.  I don't think it means the end of education as we know it, but I do
think it needs addressing, and that would be worth discussing.

Yours

Eveline Powell