Hi Michelle,

I don't claim to be a politics major however my understanding is as such;

The EU works in a similar way to the House of Commons and House of Lords in the UK. The EU Parliament is like our House of Commons, they draft and approve proposed laws and pass to the European Council in the EU (just like out House of Lords) for final approval / negotiation. The Council is made up of each of the 28 member states with representation being only a handful of appointed people from the country concerned. This is often the Foreign Minister or similar role. They can, just as our House of Lords can, accept, refuse and edit proposed legislation that comes from the EU Parliament therefore the current version of the EU Regulation isn't necessarily the final version.

This principle is something that we are used to in the UK as the majority of legislation that is passed by the House of Commons often gets edited by the House of Lords before being passed to the Queen to become law.

We know that the EU Council has taken a more conservative approach to the regulation to date believing that time should be taken to getting it right rather than rushing something through that is (for want of a better word) sloppy and rushed. I believe there was even a statement earlier this year from the Council stating that they wouldn't vote on this until 2015 at the earliest. This quick vote by the EU Parliament may have put a spanner in that works (or maybe not...).

Therefore it is highly likely that the saga that is the EU Data Protection Regulation will go on for some time.
Kind regards,

Scott Sammons AMRMS
@privacyminion
www.privacyminion.wordpress.com