Sadly Nicky, this is already the case. We are behind the times in how we
deal with the sharing of data. One of the issues I have had with care.data
is the assurance that our information is anonymised. It may well be at the
point of leaving the Health and Social Care Information Centre. However, big
data is routinely used in some large corporations that find it useful and
pharmas are going to be no different - it's a growth areas. Big data is such
that you only need very basic information for algorithms to match and
identify individuals with great accuracy.

The issue is already here which means that we have to stop thinking of
protecting privacy per se- those days are largely gone. The challenge is to
manage the data that is out there in ways that ensure that no harm is done
to individuals who may be identified - and yes, it's still privacy, but the
emphasis has moved. And that's a big challenge.

Personally I am all for anonymised information being shared for a better
healthcare society. What I am against is the way it is being implemented and
managed with a "sleep walking" attitude as was stated by our previous
Information Commissioner, Richard Thomas (albeit on a slightly different
issue).

It's all so complicated, but from my perspective laden with opportunity and
worthwhile endeavour. It's fun. ;)

Simon Howarth MSc. MBCS CITP
Director and Senior Consultant
The Information Edge
Mob. 07836 365588

Webtech Systems Limited t/a The Information Edge. Registered in England No.
3428632
www.informationedge.co.uk