---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew Pollack <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Subject: [chinaconcern] new struggle of Greek dockworkers against privatization, sale to COSCO
To: [log in to unmask]

New stage in struggle against Chinese-owned company.
Andy

From: Nantina Vgontzas <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [akny-discuss] Dockworkers union in Piraeus
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:53:57 -0400

Hi, everyone,

Hope you're well. I've been in touch with a member of the dockworkers union at Piraeus, which is continuing to contest the port's privatization. At this point, one of the port's three terminals has been sold to the Chinese state-owned company COSCO, which is looking to buy up the remaining two in the future. The union has basically been broken at that terminal under COSCO's jurisdiction, and as you can imagine, the conditions there are considerably worse.�

Giorgos has asked me if we can circulate this information to the island associations in Astoria, given that the privatization of Peiraias has implications for islands, like connections and inspections and so forth. I warned him that they are conservative and probably unsympathetic to the cause. I am wondering, however, what we could do overall from here. I'll be Skyping with him soon, but if anyone has ideas, am all ears.

Peace,
Nantina

The #1 worst carb EVER (avoid)
This health food causes fat gain, wild energy & blood sugar swings
info.fixyourbloodsugar.com

--
  1. EBook, November 2012: Recovering Internationalism[A compilation of papers from the new millenium. Now free in two download formats]
  2. EBook (co-editor), February 2013: World Social Forum: Critical Explorations http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/world_social_forum/