Dear colleagues (with apologies for cross posting).

WomanTheory started as a challenge on twitter to name three women theorists, using the hashtag #womantheory.
Within hours, twitter was full of the names of great women theorists, thinkers and writers.   To build this movement, there is now a website: http://womantheory.wordpress.com/

WomanTheory is a collective movement and we are asking people to tell us about why a particular woman theorist / thinker / writer matters to them. We have already received some brilliant posts which can be viewed on the website. In the lead up to International Women's Day 2014 we are inviting contributions to celebrate women in academia.

We ask you to tell us about why a particular woman theorist / thinker / writer matters to you: for example, how did you encounter their work? how did their work change the way you think about an issue? how do you use their ideas in your own work? It can be as long or as short as you like, 500 words would be great. You can be anonymous if you’d prefer.

You can submit your My WomanTheory story online or by email: http://womantheory.wordpress.com/your-womantheory-stories/

Join us for International Women's Day!

What is ‘WomanTheory’?
- WomanTheory is a challenge to the predominance of ‘boy theory’ and male voices and knowledge in academia.
- WomanTheory calls attention to the elision of women’s contribution to social theory and knowledge.
- WomanTheory is an epistemological and political project.
- WomanTheory is disruptive.
- WomanTheory is collective.
- WomanTheory is a movement, a revolution.