Apologies for cross-postings. This may be of interest to colleagues going to the AAG.

Hello everyone,

A few announcements from the Development Geographies Specialty Group (DGSG) as we approach the Tampa meeting. We look forward to seeing you there!

DGSG Business Meeting:

The DGSG Business Meeting will take on Wednesday April 9, 8:30 - 9:30pm, Room 17, TCC. Please attend to find out more about the Specialty Group and how you can get involved. Student Paper and Travel awards will be announced at the meeting.

DGSG Highlighted Session:

DGSG is pleased to announce its Highlighted Session “Development Geographies: Scales, Directions, Visions” that will take place at 2:40 - 4:20pm on Friday April 11. This will be a discussion panel with a range of scholars of development geographies. We invite you to attend and participate.

DGSG sponsored sessions:

DGSG is happy to sponsor many sessions at this year’s AAG. These are listed below by day, time and session number. Check the AAG program or the AAG app for further details of each session:

Tuesday, Apr 8:

8:00AM — 9:40AM

1179 Critical Geographies of "Corruption" and "Accountability" in Millennial Capitalism I

10:00AM — 11:40AM

1211 Epistemologies of Violence: Critical engagements across space, time and sites of difference (II)

1279 Critical Geographies of "Corruption" and "Accountability" in Millennial Capitalism II

12:40PM — 2:20PM

1467 The End of Peasant Revolutions? Peasant Movements in a Global Corporate World (I)

1479 Critical Geographies of "Corruption" and "Accountability" in Millennial Capitalism III

2:40PM — 4:20PM
1567 The End of Peasant Revolutions? Peasant Movements in a Global Corporate World (II)

1568 REDDy or Not 2: Political Ecologies of Forest Carbon, Accumulation, and Resistance.

4:40PM — 6:20PM

1679 Author Meets Critics: Jamey Essex's Development, Security, and Aid: Geopolitics and Geoeconomics at the U.S. Agency for International Development

Wednesday, Apr 9:

8:00AM — 9:40AM

2107 Political economies of natural resource extraction in Latin America: Remembering and celebrating Ben Kohl 1

2122 Money Talks I: Tracing Emergent Manifestations of Market-Environmentalist Discourses

10:00AM — 11:40AM

2207 Searching for alternatives to Bolivia's extractive economy: Remembering and celebrating Ben Kohl 2

2222 Money Talks I: Tracing Emergent Manifestations of Market-Environmentalist Discourses

12:40PM — 2:20PM
2435 Critical Himalaya: International Development, Politics, and Investment in High Asia

2408 Geographies of business, development and sustainability

2:40PM — 4:20PM
2511 Continuities and Transformations in African Business

2504 More Public than Private: Toilet Adoption and Menstrual Hygiene Management I

4:40PM — 6:20PM
2604 More Public than Private: Toilet Adoption and Menstrual Hygiene Management II
2611 Regionalism, Regional Integration and Economic Development in Africa

Thursday, Apr 10:

8:00AM — 9:40AM
3182 Agrarian Development in Africa and South America: Connections and Comparisons

10:00AM — 11:40AM

3256 The Gender, Place and Culture Jan Monk Distinguished Annual Lecture

12:40PM — 2:20PM
3478 International Organizations for Planning of Cities and Urban Regions

2:40PM — 4:20PM
3578 I. Reinventing the Rural: Gender, Development and Contested Landscapes

4:40PM — 6:20PM
3678 II. Reinventing the Rural: Gender, Development and Contested Landscapes

Friday, Apr 11:

8:00AM — 9:40AM

4161 Conservation Trade-Offs in Developing Countries: Bridging Biodiversity Conservation and Development/ Placing Priorities

10:00AM — 11:40AM

4261 Cities and Urban Regions in the Americas

12:40PM — 2:20PM
4461 Political Ecologies of Natural Disasters

2:40PM — 4:20PM

4504 Labour Dynamics of Agrarian Change
4524 Development Geographies: Scales, Directions, Visions

4:40PM — 6:20PM

4672 Author Meets Critics: Emily Yeh's "Taming Tibet: Landscape Transformation, and the Gift of Chinese Development"
4654 Gold and Silver Socio-Natures: Theorizing Global Mining Histories

Saturday, Apr 12:

8:00AM — 9:40AM

5135 Resilient Peasants: Agrarian Questions in an era of Global Climate Change

5174 (Re)Imagining Territory as Political Ecological Process I: Green Governance, Conservation, and Neocolonial Territorializations

10:00AM — 11:40AM

5274 (Re)Imagining Territory as Political Ecological Process II: Conflict, Indigenous Rights, and Law

2:00PM — 3:40PM

5474 (Re)Imagining Territory as Political Ecological Process III: Reimagining the Frontiers of Territory

Farhana Sultana, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Geography
Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs

144 Eggers Hall, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, 13244, USA

Email: [log in to unmask] ; Website: http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/faculty/sultana.aspx
New book: The Right to Water: Politics, Governance and Social Struggles http://www.taylorandfrancis.com/books/details/9781849713597/

Chair, Development Geographies Specialty Group, Association of American Geographers