Dear all,

This is a request for examples of public participation in science and technology research (as opposed to governance/policy), organised by research bodies - not policymakers.

Public participation in science and technology reserach tends to be framed in the context of governance, as leading to better and more robust decision making in relation to the role of technologies in society. Increasingly, public participation is seen as desirable in scientific research itself, and promoted by the funding bodies and universities. The normative assumptions underlying this move is that public participation will lead to better science through a social legitimation of multiple research trajectories and/or self-reflection on behalf of the scientists.

However, I am struggling to find examples of such participation in research (apart from Whatmore's Pickering study, and citizen science projects in which the public gathers data on behalf of science projects). If anything comes to mind please let me know - I am happy to circulate the resulting bibliography.

Thank you,

Anna
https://durham.academia.edu/AnnaKrzywoszynska/