>>> Edward Berry
<[log in to unmask]> 03/29/14 5:22 PM >>>
Thanks, Ian!
I agree it may have to do with being used to computer graphics, where x,y,z are fixed and the coordinates rotate. But it still doesn't make sense:
-My mistake- in computer graphics x,y,z rotates with the atomic coordinates relative to screen coordintes, or the viewpoint changes

"However it's very easy to change from a description involving 'new' axes to one involving 'old' axes: you just reverse the order of the angles.  So in the Eulerian case a rotation of alpha around Z, then beta around new Y, then gamma around new Z (i.e. 'Crowther' convention) is completely equivalent to a rotation of gamma around Z, then beta around _old_ Y, then alpha around _old_ Z."

Maybe in my thinking I am going in reverse order- didn't pay attention to sign of the angles.
If you think of the Eulerian navigator at http://sb20.lbl.gov/berry/Euler2.gif
it is obvious that the same setting on each of the three angles will give the same orientation. Now assuming the outside frame is fixed (bolted to the bench) and you adjust the angles starting with the inside ring, you will be using lab axes all the way. If you first adjust the outside ring, then the next two rotation will be about "new" axes.
Computationally it must be much easier to use "old" or "Lab" axes. In the case of polar coordinates, the whole problem involves rotation by kappa about an axis at odd angles to x,y,z. If in order to do that, we introduce 3 more rotations about non-standard axes, and the same for each of them, we will never get there!

So if you're used to computer graphics where the molecules rotate around the fixed screen axes (rotation around the rotating molecular axes would be very confusing!) then it seems to me that the 'old' description is much more intuitive.

Cheers

-- Ian