Rana,

It is hard to answer you question without more details (MW and pI of your target protein).  MBP binds very well to amylose resins and is usually quite easily bound to anion exchange resins.  Did you just run a "standard" ion exchange protocol or try different pH regimes?

However, you did mention you have used a detergent.  Why do you do that?  MBP binding to amylose resins can be markedly disturbed in the presence of several different detergents, which is a particularly bad thing for a membrane protein fusion.  That is why all our MBP fusion constructs have an additional His-tag.  If you really don't need the detergent, leave it out, then try the amylose resin again.

One other point is how old is your amylose resin and, if you express in E. coli, do you regularly add a little glucose to the media?  Amylose resin is degraded by  E. coli amylases, which I believe is suppressed when glucose is in the medium. However, inferring from your email, I would suppose that you initially purified the MBP fusion using the amylose resin.

Good luck,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  [log in to unmask]