Dear Jacob,

the 'check-my-metal' server at http://csgid.org/csgid/metal_sites/
lists a couple of references which might be of interest.

As usual in crytallography one must understand the science in order to
understand the reliability of the models from the PDB. They are not
the truth but only models to explain the data from a diffraction
experiment.

Best,
Tim

On 03/06/2014 08:45 PM, Keller, Jacob wrote:
> Dear Crystallographers,
>
> I was curious whether there has been a rigorous evaluation of ion
> binding sites in the structures in the pdb, by PDB-REDO or
> otherwise. I imagine that there is a considerably broad spectrum of
> habits and rigor in assigning solute blobs to ion X or water, and
> in fact it would be difficult in many cases to determine which ion
> a given blob really is, but there should be at least some fraction
> of ions/waters which can be shown from the x-ray data and known
> geometry to be X and not Y. This could be by small anomalous
> signals (Cl and H2O for example), geometric considerations, or
> something else. Maybe this does not even matter in most cases, but
> it might be important in others...
>
> All the best,
>
> Jacob Keller

> PhD Looger Lab/HHMI Janelia Farms Research Campus 19700 Helix Dr,
> Ashburn, VA 20147 email: [log in to unmask]

- --
- --
Dr Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie