If anyone is in touch with history undergrads, those training to be teachers or those who are currently teachers who happen to be of African/Caribbeanorigin can they put me in touch. We are thinking of organising a conference on this issue in the future

Hakim

On 27 Mar 2014, at 10:08, "Watley George" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

To add my piece on this subject, in all the historical conferences I have attended in the UK, except for BASA I have been the only British-based person of African origin attending any of these conferences. It is also notable that in my fourth year searching for an academic position, most of the positive responses towards my applications have come from American colleges and university, particularly HCBUs. On a broader scale, history as it is taught in schools in Britain turns off anyone that is anti-traditionalist, which works as a filtering process to effectively perpetuate traditional views of history through such processes as taught in schools; leading to history departments mostly having students that believe in British-centric and/or Euro-centric views of history at the expense of a greater development of historical knowledge and understanding outside of these centricities.

As far as 'not getting applications from ethnic minority applicants', if history departments and universities know this is a problem then they should take some actions to help solve this problem. If history departments in British universities were not extremely Euro-centric, this would help attract not only more ethnic minority students, but also those generally that would enjoy learning more about history but would not study it at university because of its emphasis on tradition and glorifying 'tradition'.

I do not like to say this, but Britain is about 40 years or more behind America in terms of hiring ethnic minority lecturers, as well as incorporating the contributions of various ethnic groups within the taught and accepted history of the country. To use an example, in the US state of Georgia, approximately 25 percent of professors in its colleges and universities are African-American. Also, African-American Studies departments are in surprising universities like University of Wyoming (1 percent African-American population in Wyoming), University of North Dakota (less than 1 percent African-American population in North Dakota) and University of Nebraska-Omaha (4.5 percent African-American population in Nebraska). If it can be done there, inclusion of the contributions of people of African and Asian origin within history departments can happen in Britain if there is a will to do so. Unfortunately this will does not exist, nor can it reasonably be foreseen in the near future in the political environment we currently live within. If Scotland becomes independent, the rest of the UK moves further right and the chances of including the contributions of people of African and Asian origin within British history moves further south.

George

From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Tayo Aluko [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 26 March 2014 14:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Only three black applicants win places to train as history teachers | Education | The Observer

Greetings,
Not being a historian, and not being a teacher, I thought it might be a little unfair to write down the first thought that came to my mind when I saw this posting, but I will anyway.
I regularly attend lectures at Liverpool University's Centre for the Study for International Slavery, hosted by they University's History Department and the International Slavery Museum. I have remarked privately to the lecturers there on more than one occasion that it is interesting that there are no Black lecturers in their department, especially teaching African History. I am also trying to remember (and still failing) any of the guest lecturers being Black, but then I haven't attended all the lectures.  The irony of the situation is obvious to all, I am sure.
On the other hand, I have just come back from attending march and rally organised by the NUT in support of their strike action today. For quite a while, it looked to me as if, at the rally itself, held in a Liverpool hotel, I was the only Black person. I later noticed another whom I know, and like me, he isn't a teacher, but a long-time local activist. I know that he understands that whatever rights that teachers, other workers enjoy today and seek to protect, were won by others who went before, and that this kind of history is one of the many things that the powers-that-be wish to keep young people ignorant of. And that of course goes for Black History.
I guess this raises a number of issues. Yes, institutional racism is undeniable. Yes, the race of a teacher matters to a certain extent, especially when one bears in mind the attitudes embodied in the interest in and dissemination of what constitutes "history". Yes, the age-old argument or excuse that one hears all the time: "we just don't get the applications from Black people"  may have little or no validity. I am pretty sure that isn't true, but what does it say to an interested outsider to the profession like me when one goes to a teachers' trade union rally and sees not one Black teacher there??
I would like to think that this was not replicated at rallies in other cities, but to me it says, "Liverpool, we have a problem"

Tayo