There is one other tool available at the moment that may be worth looking at – Central Access Reader http://www.cwu.edu/central-access/reader. It can read Word documents with equations created using the Word equation editor of MathType.

Regards

Abi

From: A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Parry
Sent: 13 March 2014 09:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: text to speech for mathematical formulae

Hmmm.. I tried reading these examples of maths rendered in a web font at http://www.mathjax.org/demos/mathml-samples/ (in MathML mode) first in IE9 with R&W vs11 (on Win7) and then with Chrome/Vox...as per Abi's suggestions,

Given it's all quite hard to do : ) it's more than possible I didn't properly configured some aspect of the process, but anyway..

R&W failed to read some symbols (eg Nabla - the inverted triangle), but it would read out a complete string of symbols and numbers, which was good.

Chrome Vox, on the other hand, was able to read out the names of the symbols if you clicked on them, but you couldn't read out a whole formula. If you tried to drag a box over the formula, it would begin to read out some hidden layout info..

Then I temporarily got excited about Microsoft Equation Editor 3.0 in MS Word, but that turned out to be a false dawn.

#procrastination

#backtowork