Dear Listmembers,

Just a quick note to say ‘thank you’ to everyone who kindly replied to my message about mobile shelving.  I received so many e-mails on the subject it would difficult to respond to everyone individually.

The information was very useful.  To summarise:
•	It seems mobile shelving (both manually & electronically operated) is widely employed in public spaces by University/Higher Education institutions.
•	In these institutions students usually (though not always) receive some kind of basic training the first time they use the Library/Research space
•	The spaces where mobile shelving areas is employed are usually (though not always) supervised, or have some kind of staff presence
•	There have been issues with health & safety (fingers trapped in the handle, students climbing up shelves etc.) but no-one identified anything very serious
•	Mobile shelving is much less common (only one listmember reported it being in use) in institutions open to the general public

Do hope this helpful & a big thank you, again, to everyone who replied.  Please do get in touch off list if anyone has any specific questions – I would be happy to share the information I received.

Regards,

Charlotte Brunskill

Archivist & Records Manager
The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art

For up to date information on forthcoming workshops and free visits
please see the online ARLIS/UK & Ireland Events Calendar 2013 at
http://arlis.org.uk/