Q&A: New collection of Dashiell Hammett stories required detective work in Ransom Center’s collection

Can you describe your archival research process, particularly while working at the Ransom Center?

When Richard Layman and I decided to co-edit a collection of unpublished and rarely published Hammett fiction, we had a pretty good idea of what we wanted to include—mostly from the cache at the Ransom Center. Rick went back to the materials he’d collected during prior research trips and for previous proposals. I began to review online finding aids and other potential resources. It was clear that this project would require a fresh, tightly focused visit to the archive. In March of 2011 we met in Austin, where we spent days going over each Hammett work, front and back, page by page. Reviewing the main text was only part of the job—that can be done nearly as well with facsimiles. But we needed to see and feel the paper, to examine typing and handwriting, to cross-reference various iterations, to consider abandoned drafts on typescript versos, and to watch for the faintest of pencil marks or the tidiest of cut-and-paste jobs.

http://bit.ly/1qdsZ0i

Source: http://blogs.utexas.edu/culturalcompass/2014/03/06/dashiell-hammett-stories/?utm_source=feedly&utm_reader=feedly&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=dashiell-hammett-stories
See if people are clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/1qdsZ0i+
Try the bitly.com sidebar to see who is talking about a page on the web: http://bitly.com/pages/sidebar