Dear List,

A project I am working on is building a new archive store and searchroom. It now looks like the store and searchroom will be two floors apart and that the dumb waiter lift I had said was essential is now falling way down the list of the architect’s priorities.

Can anyone advise me please on manual handling? Is there anything written in law I can use to make the case for the lift in terms of manual handling or health and safety? Is it o.k in law to ask someone to carry boxes of documents down two flights of stairs?

Does anyone else have this situation  without a lift and how do you manage document productions?

Many thanks

Nicola Waddington (Miss) MA, RMARA

Archivist