Interesting trends on keyword searches (Hadoop versus other keywords) and number of posts in a major Hadoop mailing list. You will also find three seminal papers by Google, in 2006 before Hadoop became well known.

I added numerous applications where Hadoop-style environments could prove useful, in a comment below the article. Here are my first five suggestions:

- fraud detection (credit card fraud in real time)
- designing customized drugs based on patient feedback (the data does not even exist yet)
- local, long-term weather forecasts (they use graph databases more so than Hadoop)
- signal processing (astronony, sensor data, highway traffic monitoring and traffic alerts, automated piloting, air and water pollution/quality)
- high frequency trading

Read full article at http://bit.ly/1hLVZZ8

SIGNOFF allstat