Katherine,
In your original message you comment 'I'm particularly interested in texts being used in ways that didn't require them to be read.'
There's quite a tradition in Mahayana Buddhism of worshipping copies of sutras as a means of making spiritual progress. Also of having manuscripts copied as an act of devotion *and* as part of a ritual procedure (e.g. for healing or protection, as you mention). Since these manuscripts and sutras were in languages (Sanskrit, Classical Tibetan) that few people could read, obviously reading them wasn't the point.
This is probably pretty much of a side issue given your focus on medieval England, but if you'd like some cites for comparitive purposes I'll dig something out.
Your topic sounds fascinating and I hope you'll keep us abreast of your progress.
Sincerely,
Margaret

Margaret Gouin, PhD (Bristol)
Honorary Research Fellow
School of Theology, Religious Studies and Islamic Studies
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
http://tsd.academia.edu/MargaretGouin
http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415566360/

_