In my view, the questions you're asking are excellent, and currently
dramatically under-theorized (and under-thought) in this field. I think
you may need to reach beyond the usual boundaries -- and if I read you
right, you know that quite well!

So:

You might take a look at Jack Goody's two books on orality and literacy
in developing societies; a little dated, but still interesting. I talk
about some of these issues in my book on Agrippa, though there it's more
a question of conceptualizing written text beyond the simplistic
assumption that it's transcription. I would also recommend that you read
through Derrida's "Plato's Pharmacy," the first long essay in
/Dissemination/, very slowly and carefully; his discussion of
Levi-Strauss on writing in the first big block of /Of Grammatology/ is
also excellent, and may prompt you to ask some peculiar and revealing
questions.

Of potential relevance is some of the work on Italian Renaissance
/imprese/ and /emblemata/; I found Armando Maggi's /Identita e imprese/
especially thought-provoking.

I am told that there is some good work on apotropaic usage of printed
bibles among late-20th C. and contemporary American evangelicals --
waving "the Book" around, carrying it, gesturing at it, but not
necessarily actually reading much of it -- but I wouldn't know where to
look.

My feeling is that a central question here is the intersection of
"writing" (or "text") with "magic" in categorical usage. If one assumes
(as one should not) that "writing" is transcription and therefore is
"properly" read as a matter of decoding-into-language, then it becomes
very easy to find pejorative or trivializing descriptions of those who
"use" texts without reading them (much) -- and "magic" will then crop
up, rather like "superstition." The problem, as Derrida pointed out so
strongly (though he was perhaps not the first), is that this assumption
about writing is utterly false. To take non-Derrida examples, consider
how copying the /Lotus Sutra/ in medieval Japan was itself an important
and meritorious act -- and it was often copied onto small slips of
bamboo, rendering the text utterly unreadable; again, it is not
necessary to be able to read or understand the characters to copy them,
and this again has nothing whatever to do with the merit acquired or
accrued. In a good deal of Islamic legal wrangling, the Qur'an only
requires special handling when it is in Arabic (a /mushaf/), such that
when one is in a state of ritual impurity (e.g., menstruating) one may
not touch a /mushaf/ -- but it is /always/ acceptable and indeed
meritorious to /read aloud/ from a /mushaf/ (you just have to get
someone else to turn the pages, as it were). The point being that the
/medium/ of the writing -- be it the glyphs or the
paper/bamboo/silk/vellum/etc. -- and the /meaning/ of the writing
linguistically, not to mention the meaning of the /writing system/ and
the meaning of the /appearance/ of the writing, and so forth -- all
these are distinct properties and may be theorized and valorized
discretely. Usually they get blurred together to make an apparently
cohesive system, but one can never predict in advance how this will work
or what will get prioritized in a given instance.

Hope some of this helps!

Yours,
Chris Lehrich

--