There is also a very wide-ranging literature (in anthropology, linguistics
and philology) on what are sometimes called "sacral" languages, that is,
languages or dialects of languages that are reserved for the numinous
sphere (religion, magic, etc.).  Some of these are purely written, and I
even know of one such that was never anyone's vernacular language at any
point in its history.  This intersects greatly with the use of writing.

I know of one Medieval manuscript that contains a French translation of the
Latin Canon of the Mass.  A later hand has carefully erased (by scraping
them off) the few lines that offer the words of institution.  If memory
serves me correctly, the later hand added a note that only priests are
allowed to read these words.  Presumably the French translation was made
for laity.  TCh. hurot in his huge 19th-century collection on Medieval
manuscripts about grammar and language prints an interesting passage from a
grammarian that remarks (again, IIRC) that the world consists of many
nations, each with its own proper spoken language, and that priests
constitute such a nation with its own language, namely, Latin.

If any of this is useful to your work, let me know and I'll try to find
time to send precise references your way.

Robert

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Michael Moynihan <[log in to unmask]