Andy Warhol was perhaps joking (or maybe not) when he said: 'I think everybody should be a machine'. The thing about machines is that high performance is often associated with them, the dictionary definition of performance includes what machines do so perhaps this is all a redundant discussion.

Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone from Virgin Media

-----Original Message-----
From:         Victoria Bradbury <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:       "Curating digital art - www.crumbweb.org" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:         Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:25:42
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Can non-human entities perform?

Hi List,

Thanks to all for weighing in on these recent questions (and please
continue!).  Roger, I agree that differentiating between living and
non-living is impossible, and I appreciate Jack's comment that those who do
separate the machine from the human may be more afraid of the development
of technology than those who don't.

So Jack brings up fear, an emotion, and affect, and this makes me wonder
about emotion and code.  GH says that non-human entities (machines?) can't
make art...

But can "they" make a joke?  We know that code can invoke fear, but can it
make us laugh?  Jeff Crouse, who collaborates with respondent Stephanie
Rothenberg works with code and humour.  I would be interested to hear what
the list has to say about fear or humour in relation to code.

LOL

Victoria

--
// Victoria Bradbury