Kate -- Flint's suggestion is a good one. I'd add to the reference he
suggests the one entitled "Food in Roman Britain" by Alcock, which is not
only excellent in text but stuffed with other useful references.

If you're looking for proof of non-ritual vs. ritual bird
slaughter/utilization, you can't do better than Roman artwork either --
there are literally hundreds of birds in that, not used merely
decoratively but as part of the kind of comic-book-page layout of a "story
in the day of the life of" which is so characteristic of Roman floor
mosaics.

Finally, I've got a fair amount of bird from Vindolanda and only one
context (a well) which MIGHT have been a ritual deposit instead of just a
convenient if insanitary way to dump garbage. We know from the Vindo.
tablets that the Commandant's table included hens' eggs; we know also that
the old boy liked to go swan-hunting and fowl-netting; and that his young
wife kept chickens (a novelty and high-status item in the area at the
time). There are two papers on Vindolanda bird bones: the first one came
out in the Vindo. Research Reports for 2005/2006; and there is also a
significant amount of wild "songbird" as well as other birds in the report
on the East Granary which came out this year. You'll have to go thump 'em
by EMail because they've been slow about getting publications up on line,
but nonetheless they'll be glad to help you if you EMail the office. --
Dr. Deb