Dear colleagues,

By this point I'm sure none of you needs reminding that ICAZ abstracts
for thematic sessions need to be submitted by the end of the month via
the conference website.

However, for those of you who hope to attend but haven't yet settled on
what (or whether) to present, here's a reminder about the session that
Jim Morris and I will be running on meta-analyses and large-scale data
integration in zooarchaeology - full title and abstract below. It's #13
on the official list.

We think this is going to be an increasingly central aspect of
zooarchaeological research over the coming years, so we're really quite
excited to have the chance to host this session now. The focus is
methodological, so we welcome papers dealing with any time period or
part of the world - so far we've got at least five continents
represented, but it'd be great to make it six.

Best,
David

ERC Research Associate & Teaching Fellow in Zooarchaeology
UCL Institute of Archaeology

*Meta-analyses in zooarchaeology: large-scale syntheses in the era of
'big data'*

Large-scale meta-analyses of archaeological data have the potential to
address issues well beyond the reach of conventional site-level studies.
From the spread of farming in the Neolithic to the development of global
trade networks in the modern era, and from the transmission of human
cultural innovations to the detection of anthropogenic impacts on the
environment, many of the big themes in contemporary archaeology
necessitate synthesis of data on a grand-scale. This is no less true for
zooarchaeology than for any other form of archaeological evidence.

While past approaches have mostly been fairly informal, the cumulative
results of decades of zooarchaeological research in many regions now
present opportunities for more systematic synthesis or even data-mining
of publications and archives -- especially where development-led
archaeology has produced unprecedented volumes of data. Meanwhile, the
burgeoning Open Access movement and increasing interest in online data
publication raise the prospect of raw zooarchaeological data being
widely available in the future.

This session aims to showcase innovative approaches to large-scale
synthesis of zooarchaeological data and to discuss the future potential
of such studies, as well as current problems and limitations.

·Novel approaches to synthesis of metrical, age, sex,
palaeopathological, taphonomic, and/or anatomical data, as well as
taxonomic frequencies.

·Quality control; dealing with research biases and
recovery/identification issues.

·Statistical tools for meta-analysis; maximising chronological resolution.

·Integrating zooarchaeology with other archaeological, ecological,
and/or historical datasets on a grand scale.

David C. Orton

Institute of Archaeology, University College London

James Morris

School of Forensic and Investigative Sciences, University of Central
Lancashire