And I've got to the bottom of the remaining concern I had with
this, which was an extra time delay within a site ARGUS.

So, a quick recap on how ARGUS' three main bits work:

- The Policy Administration Point (PAP) is where policy is set up.
That includes local configuration like which accounts are and are
not allowed to use glExec, for example. The central user suspension
list(s) plug in here - your site ARGUS goes and gets policy from the
UK NGI one and adds it to its own. In the case of a DN being suspended,
that's a very simple policy that says "If you see this DN, I don't care
what the question is, the answer is 'NO'".

- The Policy Enforcement Point (PEP) which is the little server that
client machines talk to when they want a decision making. It doesn't
actually make them, for that it talks to...

- The Policy Decision Point (PDP) which looks at what it's being asked
to authorise, consults the policy, and makes the decision.

So, there are a couple of time-outs that are relevant here; firstly,
in the PAP configuration it has a polling interval that tells it how
often to go and check the UK NGI Argus server for new policy. This
defaults to once every four hours, which is too long. It should be set
to something shorter, let's say about an hour for now. Secondly, the
PDP has a 'retention interval' for which it will cache a result, so
it's possible for it to remember an authorisation for a while even
after a new policy has been downloaded, during which time a DN could
appear to be suspended by policy, but actually still be allowed to
log in to things. That period is also set to four hours by default,
and that needs to be much shorter; there isn't an upstream recommendation
for this at the moment, but I'm experimenting with twenty minutes on
the Oxford site ARGUS.

So, it all works, but it's important to shorten the PAP polling interval
and the PDP retention interval so that changes to the central policies
actually take effect within a reasonable space of time.

There's a rundown of the general structure of ARGUS here:
 https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/EGEE/AuthorizationFramework
and the documentation on everything to do with central banning configuration
(not all of which is directly relevant to a site ARGUS) is here:
 http://wiki.nikhef.nl/grid/Argus_Global_Banning_Setup_Overview

Ewan