On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 5:07 AM, Hendrik Van Heerden <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi

I recently downloaded and installed (untarred into specified folder) star-hikianalia. The previous version we used was hawaiki.

The systems we use are Fedora 20_x86_64.

I have set the paths in /etc/cshrc and /etc/login

You shouldn't be editing /etc/cshrc and /etc/login. It should be sufficient to modify your own ~/.cshrc and ~/.login. You indicate that you have set the paths but did you source the initialization scripts?

setenv STARLINK_DIR /where/you/put/star
source $STARLINK_DIR/etc/login

in your .login

and

source $STARLINK_DIR/etc/cshrc

in your .cshrc (you may need to set STARLINK_DIR in both files). STARLINK_DIR is needed if you have put the starlink tree in a place that was different to where you built it.

But when I run them (source ...) I get the following error:

[iraf@localhost ~]$ period
/star-hikianalia/etc/notinst: Command not found.
[iraf@localhost ~]$ gaia
/star-hikianalia/etc/notinst: Command not found.

This is what happens when the period command was not found where it was meant to be (and then the script that is sourced to tell you that period was not installed was obviously also not found). It is looking at /star-hikianalia so I'm guessing that /star-hikianalia is not where the Starlink software is installed? Maybe $STARLINK_DIR just needs to be set before sourcing the scripts?

--
Tim Jenness