You'll need to account for scanner as a covariate. Hopefully, each scanner had subjects from all patient and control groups.

There are likely other differences as well between scanners (e.g. FOV, matrix size, TR, TE, etc.).

Images do not have pixels (picture elements), they have voxels (volume elements). The voxel size is determined by: (1) slice thickness; (2) matrix size; and (3) Field of View (FOV). The slice thickness gives you 1 dimension and FOV/matrix gives you the other two dimensions.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren