Since he has come up: I relate Milton's inverted modesty-topoi to the Stuart version of the Momus-discourse pretty extensively in the first two chapters of my book _Milton's Secrecy_. Toot, toot! jdf

From: "Katherine Eggert" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, 13 February, 2014 14:53:51
Subject: Re: Complaints about envy in Elizabethan dedications

The coupling of detraction with envy seems to me to be the signal thing here.  It's not just detraction alone that comes up.  As the situation is posed in these kinds of prefaces, people don't utter detract from you unless they are envious; their envy shows that you are doing something well, indeed, better than they are.  Of course, noting their envy and detraction is the publicly acceptable face of bragging (the modesty topos).  But it's more than that: their envy and detraction prove to you -- and ought to prove to everyone else -- that you're good enough to write.  You don't know you're any good unless someone is envious enough to snipe and snark.

In case anyone's interested, here's Milton in Areopagitica, elaborately building up his own qualifications for writing from the grounds that the Italians envy the English.  No detraction in this passage, but it comes up elsewhere in the essay when Milton notes that some find him "new" and "insolent."

"And lest som should perswade ye, Lords and Commons, that these arguments of lerned mens discouragement at this your order, are meer flourishes, and not reall, I could recount what I have seen and heard in other Countries, where this kind of inquisition tyrannizes; when I have sat among their lerned men, for that honor I had, and bin counted happy to be born in such a place of Philosophic freedom, as they suppos'd England was, while themselvs did nothing but bemoan the servil condition into which lerning amongst them was brought; that this was it which had dampt the glory of Italian wits; that nothing had bin there writt'n now these many years but flattery and fustian. There it was that I found and visited the famous Galileo grown old, a prisner to the Inquisition, for thinking in Astronomy otherwise then the Franciscan and Dominican licencers thought. And though I knew that England then was groaning loudest under the Prelaticall yoak, neverthelesse I took it as a pledge of future happines, that other Nations were so perswaded of her liberty. Yet was it beyond my hope that those Worthies were then breathing in her air, who should be her leaders to such a deliverance, as shall never be forgott'n by any revolution of time that this world hath to finish. When that was once begun, it was as little in my fear, that what words of complaint I heard among lerned men of other parts utter'd against the Inquisition, the same I should hear by as lerned men at home utterd in time of Parlament against an order of licencing; and that so generally, that when I had disclos'd my self a companion of their discontent, I might say, if without envy, that he whom an honest quæstorship had indear'd to the Sicilians, was not more by them importun'd against Verres, then the favourable opinion which I had among many who honour ye, and are known and respected by ye, loaded me with entreaties and perswasions, that I would not despair to lay together that which just reason should bring into my mind, toward the removal of an undeserved thraldom upon lerning."

Looking forward to reading your essay, Brad.

Katherine

Katherine Eggert
Associate Professor of English
University of Colorado, Boulder