They are all digging Alberti's *Momus* (Rome, 1520)?

----- Original Message -----

From: "David Wilson-Okamura" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, 13 February, 2014 08:40:52
Subject: Complaints about envy in Elizabethan dedications

I am reading Thomas Morley's Plaine and Easie Introduction to Practicall Musicke (1597), which is dedicated to his teacher, the great William Byrd. Like so many dedications from this period (including that of the Shepheardes Calender), this one anticipates detraction (seeing we live in those days wherein envy reigneth) and tells the "Momists" to go fig themselves before they actually read his book.

We have all seen this before. So I ask you, sane friends, were our guys all paranoid? Or was Envy really stalking the cobbled streets of Europe, romping like a Blatant Beast or a roaring lion, seeking whom it might devour? Yes, Cassio, I know how important reputation is, and how vulnerable. But Envy is not just slander; it's also criticism, which our guys seem to shrink from. Cf. "Haters gonna hate," which I hate.

Confused, but in all love and entire affection to YOU most addicted,

David WO

--

Dr. David Wilson-Okamura http://virgil.org [log in to unmask]
English Department Virgil reception, discussion, documents, &c

--

J ames Dougal Fleming
Associate Professor

" Upstairs was a room for travelers. ‘You know, I shall take it for the rest of my life,’ Vasili Ivanovich is reported to have said as soon as he had entered it."
-- Vladimir Nabokov, Cloud, Castle, Lake