This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. -------------------------------

Hi Leah,

Not sure if you’re aware, but the picture on the urn is highly symbolic. Through symbolism, you can gain understanding into social attitudes at the time, family and religious sentiments, as well as possible information about the deceased. Cherubs are angelic and when playing a trumpet (right cherub) symbolise rebirth/resurrection. This shows a strong religious sentiment and belief in the afterlife.

The arrow in the middle cherub is likely to symbolise love and is most likely representative of God’s love and/or love of the family for the deceased. The cherub at the left seems to be playing a pan pipe. The pan pipe most often symbolises truth in God and God’s mercy.

I hope this helps somewhat.

What’s happening on the other side of the urn?

I would agree that the urn was most probably used on the grave for flowers.

Regards,

Catherine

Catherine Brew

BLArch (UNSW), Grad. Dip. Heritage Studies (UNE)

Partner at

Red Plait Interpretation LLP

Tel: +44 (0)1305 822691

Mob: +44 (0)7717 885564

W: www.redplaitinterpretation.com

30 Reforne, Easton, Portland, DT52AL, Dorset, UK

Registered Limited Liability Partnership No: OC350167

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter