From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Cooper, Alison [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 09 February 2014 04:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SEDA Values Consultation reminder: Deadline for responses 10 February

At nearly the final hour, for my part I have tried to draw on all the valuable ideas that has been offered in the last few days - Sally's original input, David's TNE additions, Janet's 'commitment' idea and her issue about the understanding of how people learn, and the point about critical reflection, to pull these suggestions together. It is hard isn’t it to phrase them as values that are still action orientated, which guide  both our own practice and those with whom we work....

 SEDA asks of colleagues that our practices, and those with whom we work,  be underpinned by a commitment to the following values:

•       To continually develop our understanding of how people learn, in different ways, in different local and global contexts and through different media;

•       To conduct and encourage scholarly, professional and ethical practices, making best use of evidence-based scholarship and literature in the field to underpin our pragmatic proposals for change;

•       To promote and foster learning in communities of practice, within and across subjects,  institutions, nations and internationally;

•       To advocate inclusivity, recognising the diversity of both students and staff, and work to ensure academic equity, celebrate difference and redress disadvantage in higher education.

•       To support engagement in critical reflection and professional development, both for ourselves and those with whom we work, aiming to ensure processes and practices are developmental, supportive, and appropriate to contexts and capabilities.

Good Luck Sue and Jo  - and thank you both for doing this.

Ali

Ali Cooper | Educational Development Adviser | Organisation & Educational Development | HR | Lancaster University | LA1 4YW | [log in to unmask]  | 01524 510632 | Educational Development: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/celt/celtweb |