I agree with Ann about the moral paucity of The Wolf of Wall Street but there is a semantic problem in looking at the ethics of storytelling as having one meaning.

Scorsese would say you don't have to put up a banner to send a message.

Ethics and scriptwriting has different meanings depending on context. If a writer makes changes to a script (self censoring) to get a buyer but then persuades the director to shoot a different version (not uncommon ) is that a question of ethics?

Good discussion

Julian Friedmann
Blake Friedmann Literary Agency
Www.blakefriedmann.co.uk