As I started this (after hours of hesitation), I thank you all for your interesting mails & contributions.

P.S. jT. Your „P.S. about the joke about „business ethics”… waw. I didn’t know that old joke. Filmmaking is also „business”.

Hugo

Op 13-feb.-2014, om 18:24 heeft JT Velikovsky <[log in to unmask]> het volgende geschreven:

- Indeed, a fascinating topic of discussion.

I have 2 thoughts to contribute...

(1) I see that in The Clockwork Muse: The Predictability of Artistic Change (Martindale, 1990) Martindale finds: adding ambiguity (which can include: moral and ethical) makes a work more likely to succeed, and be (judged as) "art"...
i.e.:
"If on the other hand, one adds more layers of meaning, that increases the work’s ambiguity. Ambiguity is a collative variable. Collative properties such as novelty or unpredictability can vary much more freely than meaning in all of the arts. One soon finds that to increase the arousal potential of aesthetic products over time, one must increase ambiguity, novelty, incongruity, and other collative properties." (Martindale, 1990, pp. 46-47)

(Which, I also interpret to mean: `intentional ambiguity' adds more reasons for audiences to go away and puzzle over/debate, the `meaning' of the work, later... possibly also adding to, its word-of-mouth...)
In fact, for that reason, I've often deliberately added layers of moral and ethical ambiguity to my own screenwriting/film work, wherever possible. (eg Caught Inside, Rocket Man, etc)

I see that Kubrick noted (in the Ciment interviews) the more `a work of art', the more likely/possible it is, to be misinterpreted, by almost anybody.
ie "People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe, and I wonder how many people have ever had their views about anything important changed by a work of art?" (Kubrick in Ciment, 1980)
(in the original audio interview, he actually then adds, chuckling: "...Maybe, if they're 15 or 16 years old...?")

And, my second thought, is that:

(2) I noticed, there's a thesis (Abstract, below) that might be relevant to this discussion. ie - Re: `Wolf of Wall St', (and movies such as `American Psycho', and even `Chopper', `Clockwork Orange' etc, as Jamie mentioned) - It possibly also ties in to the notion that (according to John Ronson) possibly 5% of CEOs are psychopaths or sociopaths, or both. And furthermore - that corporations, when `personality-tested', are psychopaths. (eg - See also of course, the excellent documentary The Corporation (2003), with Noam Chomsky, Naomi Klein, Michael Moore, etc) ie - http://www.thecorporation.com/

That thesis, at any rate: (931 pages...)

Exploring ethical intelligence through ancient wisdom and the lived experiences of senior business leaders