Hello everybody,

So far I have never participated in these discussions but maybe you will be able to help me with a question about ethics concerning stakeholder involvement I realist reviews:

I’m working on a realist review:  Exploring why Quality Circles work in Primary Health Care. QCs are small groups of health care professionals who meet at regular intervals to improve their practice. Stakeholders have contributed to the development of the question, focussing the research questions and will stay involved during the project to participate in data analysis, weighing results and dissemination of findings. It started as a national project in Switzerland. The Swiss committee of ethics told me that I would not have to bother about ethical approval since there are no patients involved (concerning Swiss stakeholders). Since the project expanded to a European level and since I carried this project to my DPhil in Oxford, I face another sort of ethical approval that has to go through university.

What I wonder now is what sort of ethics approval you have to get from your universities when applying for a realist project. Do you have some tips on how to address ethical applications when I think that asking for signatures is not appropriate like before / after informal and formal discussions, group processes and other opportunities when information from stakeholders about programme theory is gathered?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts and ideas!

Adrian

Dr. med. Adrian Rohrbasser

General Practitioner

SAFM Delegate for Quality in Family Medicine

MSc in Evidence Based Health Care

DPhil student University of Oxford, Department of Primary Care Health Sciences

Santémed Gesundheitszentrum

Friedtalweg 18

9500 Wil

Switzerland